2 wonton wrappers
Canola oil, for frying
2 tablespoons sliced or slivered almonds
Asian Sesame Dressing
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, toasted
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
4 cups loosely packed bite-size pieces romaine lettuce
1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
3 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, grilled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Cut wonton wrappers into 1/4-inch strips
3. Heat about 2 inches of canola oil to 365°F in a heavy skillet.
4. Fry the wonton strips in the oil until they are crisp, about 30 seconds.
5. Spread the almonds out on a baking sheet. Toast them in the oven for 5 minutes, toss them around, and then toast for 5 minutes more. Remove from oven and let cool.
6. To make the dressing, in a bowl, mix together all of the ingredients except the canola oil. Use a wire whisk to blend well and then slowly drizzle in the oil to create an emulsion.
7. To assemble the salad, in a large bowl, toss the romaine lettuce, cilantro, fried wonton strips, grilled chicken and dressing.
8. Transfer to plates and top with the sesame seeds and almonds.